The Holidays are coming up quickly so heres delicious kidney friendly recipe that is sure to please all your guest!
Portions 10; Serving size 1 slice
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups Fresh Cranberries
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup Cranberry Juice or Apple Juice
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 2 tbsp Margarine
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 2 tbsp Hot Water
- Cut each cranberry in half and reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan and line with waxed paper than grease the wax paper and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the juice, orange zest, melted margarine and beaten egg.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until flour is combined.
- Mix in cranberries and walnuts.
- Stir cranberries and walnuts in hot water.
- Place batter in prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minute. ( Test by poking toothpick into bread; if it comes out clean the bread is done.)
- Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into ten slices.
Diet Types: CKD non-dialysis, dialysis, diabetes
Nutrients per serving: Calories 214, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 21 mg, Sodium: 143 mg, Potassium: 85 mg, Phosphorus: 58 mg, Calcium: 42 mg, Fiber: 1.3 g
Food Choices: 1 Starch, Phosphorus: 58 mg, Calcium: 42 mg, Fiber: 1.3 g
Carbohydrate Choices: 2-1/2
For this recipe and more check out DaVita’s Home-Cooked Holiday cook book.